Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Wonderful Everyday...

Dear Friends...

I like to begin my posts as if we're Dear Friends in the middle of a conversation...
          -You've Got Mail (loose) reference

So...Dear Friends,

I was thinking of one of my Favorite Things. Yes, I have lots of Favorite Things. And People. I have lots of Favorite People. Oh! And Places. I have lots of...you get the idea...

I'm sure my mother taught this particular Favorite Thing to me, as most of my creativity can be attributed to my mom. She is the Discoverer of Raw Materials... Sometimes it takes me years to be able to visualize what it is that she sees in something. She's the kind of "creative" that you can't learn. You just appreciate "it". And do what "it" suggests...

Anyway, she is a huge fan of clear, glass jars for keeping stuff. Big jars, little jars. And inside those jars she usually stores things she's found for me but that I haven't quite caught-on to...cause when I do, her jars of treasures are no longer her's...I take them home and they become mine.

I have a closet that is a good size. It used to house wetsuits and Lacoste shirts and baseball cleats.  And it smelled of adventure. But then one day, it was just a big, empty room with no useful purpose. A place where Love used to hang his clothes...Sigh...In case you didn't catch on, that was a reference of my unwillingness to be a Contented-Empty-Nester, but that is a subject for another time and, another blog, Kimcanandsocanyou.blogspot.com (shameless plug!) to be specific...

Anywho. The closet is now my workspace. It's where I house my supplies. And my inspiration. I have drawers of drawstring and cello bags. I have boxes of cardstock. I have an entire drawer of chenille chicks. And I have lots of jars...
...sitting atop an old card catalog, a favorite-find from the Discoverer of Raw Materials...

The jars are (fairly!) organized and contain this-and-thats. Old Scrabble letters and plastic cameos. Dominos, don't know why, but I have lots of dominos. I have vintage French flashcards in one jar. And ballerinas that hold birthday cake candles. And tiny, glass Christmas ornaments...
Things that I create with. Stuff that inspires me. Lots of things I took from my mom...


For me, it's a good way to be aware of my supplies, but I also use them for decorating. The ballerinas are currently part of my fireplace mantle-decor.

More importantly, the jars make these everyday items look festive, and that's my favorite thing. It's a philosophy. It's an outlook. Don't save your best just for company. 

My hint for you today is to look around you. Take notice of what makes up your Daily Life. Little Boys who smell of adventure and bubble-solution. Little Girls who collect stuffed toy mice. Puppies and their food. You know, Life...
Now. Take some of the ingredients of that Daily Life and display them like precious works of art (cause, that's what our Daily Lives are, you know)...

Cupcake papers... I have to climb on a chair to get the ones I need. But they look happy, so I like them there...

Dog treats...

Pacifiers. Golf tees. Pods of coffee for your newly-discovered-and-daily habit...

Cello sponges used to wipe Labrador-drool off the hardwood floor. I mean, ya know, in case you need a suggestion for a friend...

My wish for you for today is this: that you stop fighting the everyday. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Be thankful for it. Dress it up. Put it in a glass jar and take a pretty picture of it. And then, show it off. 

Or sumpin like that...


No comments:

Post a Comment