Thursday, March 6, 2014

A (Currently) Golden Life...

Currently, along with being inspired by almost everything and everybody, I'm liking a touch of gold on my projects... I've gilded before, but it hasn't caught on with Kim Marshall and become one of her go-tos. I'll just go ahead and get this out there:

When it comes to "how" I enjoy my creativity, I'm very particular. I don't like projects that are tedious-I appreciate that in others, but personally I like things I can pick up and get done. Things with quick and immediate results. I'm more of a designer when it comes to any kind of project. I love the idea process. But the implementation of the idea, or the vision, often leaves me a bit numb. There, I feel better now that I've put that in black and white...


Gilding requires following instructions. I'm not good at those, although I do (follow instructions) from time-to-time. I prefer activities that I can figure out myself and that are difficult to mess-up. Anyway...

This is what I'm trying to share today.

My old/new favorite way to add shine to something is with embossing powder. I think the reason I have a new-found love for it is my new jar of gold powder. What I've been able to put my hands on over the last few years has been a glittery powder that is stocked at the local stores. It just doesn't work like I've wanted it to, and I lost my respect for embossing for a bit. I'm sorry, embossing powder, but it's true and needed to be said...

Side note: Paper Source, which I've known from its online presence, opened a store at the Summit in Birmingham, which, if you're a creative-type like me, is like a dream. I get lost in there. The store and the City...

I found a five-dollar jar of gold embossing powder without the glitter and it's changed my world. By the way, you have to be careful with glitter of any sort as it can be a cheap substitute for creativity. That's an excerpt from my book, Things I Wish I Knew About Life And Creativity.


Embossing, is basically rubber-stamping with dimension. You need powder, an embossing pad, a heat gun and rubber stamp. Don't let any of those items scare you. They're all easily-located and inexpensive to own. You stamp and heat. That's it. Good embossing powder has the lovliest finish. I've used it in many of my projects as of late...

On favor bags, table and game signs for my friend's shower...

And just yesterday...
...used it to make personalized envelope seals for a favorite Etsy customer of mine. These are just Avery labels that I bought at an office supply store. I stamped her initials, sprinkled the powder and heated it until it liquified and developed a visible shine. And it doesn't rub off. You should try it...

I've been saving my ideas and thoughts for a long time. Waiting for the perfect format to share them.

I think I may have found just that...


No comments:

Post a Comment